November 13 is World Kindness Day! World Kindness Day began in 1998 and was started by the World Kindness Movement. This organization was formed in 1997 when Japan brought kindness organizations from across the globe together at a Tokyo conference. Currently, the organization is comprised of over 28 countries. World Kindness Day is observed in multiple countries, such as the United States, Canada, Japan, Italy, Australia and the United Arab Emirates.
The purpose of World Kindness Day is to highlight and encourage good deeds in communities across the world. The NASBA Center for the Public Trust (CPT) believes that ethics matters and that without kindness, there can be no ethics. Here are a few ways to inspire kindness in the workplace this year:
- Smile at a coworker as you pass by
- Write positive messages on sticky notes and leave them around the office
- Hold the door or the elevator for someone
- Ask your coworker about their day before jumping into a meeting discussion
- Send encouraging messages to your team members
- Pay for a coworker’s coffee
- Bring in treats for the office
- Let your coworkers know you appreciate their efforts
Be sure to celebrate the good deeds that others do and show some kindness around your workplace today and every day!
-Gia Tims, Communications & Digital Media Specialist